This community project was initially created by Francesco Ciriaci. To join: Contact Us
Problem statement and Use cases: https://docs.google.com/a/ushahidi.com/document/d/1q0CSIA1Ly_JiZK_pbQK-jziYdt4dLQP3QBt3NYCko6c/edit?hl=en_US
The mobile web application is meant to provide an easy way to submit report from mobile devices even without connectivity.
The app will be packaged as a plugin, so the deployment runs at: mymap.com and the offline version is at mymap.com/mobile
To submit web reports from the regular web interface Robbie created a plugin (see below).
The big opportunity will come especially with the implementation of Custom Forms API: the mobile webapp could then serve as Ushahidi "client" for data collection.
(Online-offline web requires to use not-yet-fully-implemented HTML5 standards, so browser compatibility is quite painful)
- the opportunity to design/learn for/from the Ushahidi native mobile apps: how much do they support online-offline? could the webapp do a better field validation?
- Implement the app as plugin, to be deployed for testing. The plugin should modify also the default Usha web view to include a link/icon to the webapp, maybe a script for auto-redirect, ...) There should be hooks to add that link. If you add a FALLBACK section to the appcache then the browser will auto redirect when offline.
- See what's possible with CustomForms APIs / more complete APIs.
- Could be used by Crowdmap, at some point, if solid enough.
- The app could be featured in the upcoming Mozilla Marketplace - https://marketplace.mozilla.org - the marketplace is open for submissions. Will it go in the marketplace if/when active on crowdmap? (a configurable webapp. would need a proxy, need to be investigated).
Ushahidi offline interface (experimental)
Allows to access / submit reports offline - Robbie's code: https://github.com/rjmackay/Ushahidi-plugin-offline
Android - code: https://github.com/ushahidi/Ushahidi_Android
iOS - code: https://github.com/ushahidi/Ushahidi_iPhone
Windows Phone (2 years old) - code: https://github.com/ushahidi/Ushahidi_WinMobile
(Nov. 2010) - code: http://community.ushahidi.com/index.php/plugins/plugin/mobile-edition
Updated mobile edition code: https://github.com/ushahidi/ushahidi-plugins-mobile
In addition to running a hack at Random Hacks of Kindness, Francesco has had a few hack days with Reflab Labs.