What is Ushahidi 3.x?
Ushahidi is an open source web application for information collection, visualization and interactive mapping. It helps you to collect info from: SMS, Twitter, RSS feeds, Email. It helps you to process that information, categorize it, geo-locate it and publish it on a map.
Ushahidi 3.x is the next iteration of this tool, rebuilt from the ground up -- not only the code but the way in which we think about users interacting with mobile and social data.
Crowdsourcing strategies have come a long way in the five years Ushahidi has been around and we've been fortunate enough to learn a lot from our global community.
Why? Ushahidi 2.x works, why rebuild?
- The bugs.. Ushahidi 2.x has been hard to maintain, some of the early foundation work was a bit shaky, and has thrown up many bugs.
- The use case has changed (Grown!) - Ushahidi 2.x was built to map reports of violence in Kenya after the post-election fallout at the beginning of 2008. Now its used to monitor elections, track pollution, report corruption, manage disaster response/recovery and much more.
- Our framework needs an upgrade. Ushahidi 2.x is built on Kohana 2.3.. a now out of date, unsupported framework. The upgrade path to Kohana 3.3 almost requires a full rewrite anyway.
Should I use Ushahidi 3.x for my new project?
Sorry, not yet.. Probably in 2014. There is a developer release available, more info available here
I'd love to say you should, but right now its not complete, do join us to extend its capabilities.
I'm a developer, should I contribute to Ushahidi 3.x?
Maybe.. We're still in heavy development, many architecture questions haven't been answered yet, many that have will still change.
If you just want to fix a few bugs, or build a prototype on Ushahidi.. you're probably better helping out on Ushahidi 2.x right now.
If you're keen to help build something awesome, and happy to get deep into the core workings.. then yes. Jump on board..
See also: 3.0 Blog posts
- Ushahidi, v3.x - Getting Involved
- Ushahidi, v3.x - Developer Guide
- Ushahidi, v3.x - Roadmap
- Ushahidi v3.x Research
- Ushahidi 3.x Downloads
- Installing Ushahidi 3.x