This page is to provide you with some tips to think about when seeking funding for your map project. Please edit freely with your ideas. If you are on the run, you can Download the c_Ushahidi-Funding-Guide.pdf (Note this page content was transferred from the retired Ushahidi community site.)
Steps to Funding Success
Define your project
Answer some of these questions to help you define your plans. Also see the Ushahidi Toolkits pages and 10 Questions You Should Ask for more details on project management.
- What problem are you trying to address? What is your Map Mandate?
- How does the proposal address the problem?
- What are the goals and objectives of the program?
- Who is the audience? Who will benefit?
- What is the budget?
- What is the timelines for the project?
- Can you partner with others for non-financial support?
- How will the project be sustainable, if it's longer than a one-off event?
- Is there a geographic focus? (funders generally prefer to fund based on a specific location)
- What are the expected outcomes and how will you measure them?
The Funding Process
General advice as you go seek out funding
Examples of how you might use your funding:
- Funding an SMS shortcode number to allow people to send free SMS
- Funding an SMS alert campaign
- Funding a web designer to customize your Ushahidi deployment
- Funding a PR campaign: Newspapaer ads, online ads, to raise awareness about your Ushahidi instance.
- Funding a data entry resource if you are migrating existing data into the Ushahidi platform
A collection of guides and articles that are relevant to the funding process: